Thursday, January 21, 2010

Potato Gratin

Ingredients:
2 1/2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, halved
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
1 c. whole milk
1/4 t. freshly grated nutmeg
coarse salt and pepper
3 oz. Gruyere cheese, grated

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.
Peel potatoes. Rub inside of a 9 by 12 inch oval baking dish with cut sides of garlic.
Heat cream, milk, nutmeg, and 1 1/2 t. salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat until bubbles form around edge. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, slice potatoes 1/8 inch thick; transfer to a bowl. Pour warm cream mixture over top. Mix well, using your hands to separate and coat potatoes, and transfer to prepared baking dish.
Gently push potatoes down, and pour cream mixture from bowl over top. Sprinkle with Gruyere. Bake (with a baking sheet placed on the rack below to catch drips) until potatoes are fork tender and top is bubbling and brown, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Makes 6 servings. Total time 1 hour 45 minutes.

Verdict:
Using a mandoline to cut the potatoes is the fastest and easiest way. It also helps them to cook evenly when they are sliced to the same thickness. These potatoes are rich and creamy and oh so yummy.

2 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

I had this bag of potatoes left over from something else...so I found a recipe for potato gratin with the ingredients I had on hand (for Sunday dinner)...they were okay...David commented that yours were delicious and was even trying to give me some tips...ummm...nice:) Guess he will be glad that I have this recipe. Funnier thing...he informed me that you had this "thing" to make the potato slices really thin...I asked if it was a mandoline...to which he stated..."yeah, I think that is what it's called"...thanks dude...I have one too and that is what I used...I Love my husband.

By the way...I had never tried gruyere till my mom, sisters and I made cheese fondue...I fell in LOVE...so delicious...so I am excited to try this recipe.:)

Unguren said...

My mandoline is actually a potato peeler that I got at the Utah fair. It has an attachment. Very cool.

You will like these I promise.