Thursday, January 7, 2010

Salami Panini With Giardiniera Pesto

Ingredients:
1 c. bottled giardiniera (pickled vegetable mixture)
1/4 c. pepperoncini peppers
1/4 c. kalamata olives, pitted
1 T. pesto
4 kaiser or hamburger buns
8 oz. genoa salami
1 c. fontina cheese, shredded

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 or panini grill according to manufacturer's instructions.
Combine giardiniera, pepperoncini, olives, and pesto in a food processor; pulse until minced.
Tear a small amount of bread from the top half of each bun. Fill each bun cavity with 1/4 c. of the giardiniera mixture.
Divide salami evenly among the bottom of the buns. Top each with 1/4 c. fontina. Place top bun on top of fontina.
Grill sandwiches in a panini maker or on a cookie sheet coated with nonstick spray. Cook until fontina is melted, about 5-8 minutes.

Makes 4 sandwiches. Total time 20 minutes.

Verdict:
Blake and I went back and forth about buying the Griddler from Costco. We decided not to. But then I wished I had had it for these sandwiches. Oh well. Cookie sheet work well. When you are baking them in the oven use one baking sheet on top one on the bottom. Half way through cooking press down on the top baking sheet to press the sandwich together. When I made these I didn't use fontina. I used provolone instead. I couldn't find fontina. They were still good but I have had one that is similar that I liked better.

No comments: