Monday, September 7, 2009

Pasta With Roasted Cauliflower, Parsley, and Breadcrumbs

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower (about 2 1/2 lbs.) cored, and broken into small florets
1 red onion, halved and cut into thin wedges
5 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1/4 c. olive oil
4 slices white sandwich bread
12 oz. cavatappi or other short pasta
1/4 c. parmesan, grated plus more for serving
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped

Directions:
Preheat
oven to 475 with racks in upper and lower thirds.
Boil large pot of salted water.
On a rimmed baking sheet toss cauliflower, onion, garlic and 2 T. oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Roast on lower rack until lightly browned and tender about 20 minutes, tossing once.
Meanwhile in a food processor, combine bread and remaining 2 T. oil. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Spread on rimmed baking sheet.
Bake on upper rack until golden about 5-6 minutes, tossing once.
Cook pasta in boiling water until done. Reserve 1/2 c. pasta water. Drain pasta and return to pot.
Add cauliflower mixture with parmesan and parsley, toss to combine. While tossing pasta gradually add enough pasta water to form a thin sauce that coats pasta.
Serve pasta topped with breadcrumbs and more parmesan if desired.

Makes 4 servings. Total time 30 minutes.

Verdict:
I made this thinking it would be a flop. I had really low expectations. Not that I didn't want it to taste good I really hoped that it would. But it was good. It was a lot better than I expected. I did add more parmesan than the recipe called for but that is because I like cheese. If you like cheese you could add more too.

1 comment:

Julie Carroll said...

I would just like to say THANK YOU! I tried your fish taco recipe the other day and I am so bummed that I have been missing out on an amazing dish for the past 31 years of my life!! I have made them 3 of the last 5 nights for dinner... yumm... I can not get enough fish tacos!!!