Thursday, September 17, 2009

Southwestern Egg Rolls With Chipotle Cream Dip

For the egg rolls:
1 1/2 c. turkey, ground
1 t. each ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder
2 T. olive oil
4 c. fresh spinach
1/4 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/4 c. canned black beans, drained, rinsed
1/4 c. roasted red peppers, sliced
1/4 c. green onions, chopped
2 T. jalapeno, seeded, minced
1/2 c. monterey jack, shredded
egg roll wrappers
1 egg, beaten with 1 T. water

For the chipotle cream dip:
1/2 c. sour cream
2 T. lime juice
1 T. honey
1/2 t. adobo sauce from canned chipotle in adobo

For the egg rolls:
Saute turkey and spices in oil in a large nonstick skillet until cooked through. Stir in spinach, corn, beans, red pepper, scallions, and jalapeno.
Cook until spinach wilts. off heat add cheese and salt.
Assemble by laying wrapper on work surface with a corner toward you. Brush edges with egg wash . Place 1/4 c. filling on wrapper and fold bottom corner over filling, tucking tightly. Fold in sides and roll to the end. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
Heat 2 c. vegetable oil for frying. Fry egg rolls until crisp. Drain on paper towels.

For dipping sauce:
Combine all ingredients. Serve with egg rolls.

Makes 8-12 egg rolls. Total time 35 minutes.

Verdict:
I changed a couple of things in this recipe. First I used a whole package of ground turkey so naturally I added more of all the other ingredients. I also added more spices. Sarah made the dipping sauce and she used more adobo sauce then what it called for. We also used this as a dip too. Have you ever had the southwestern egg rolls from Chili's? Those are exactly what these taste like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A RECIPE blog! Awesome! I love recipe blogs because I'm always looking for things to make (that are easy of course! :-)) Thanks for coming by today, leaving a comment and following! Hope you have a great weekend...

Lauren said...

I thought of the Chili's ones you like when I saw this! Yum.